Housing Progress and a Poem

I have a place to live this year and it's in Spanish Harlem at 116th Street and 1st Avenue. Woo-hoo! After a pretty stressful week, a few critical developments were made, most importantly the status of my 2011/2012 housing, so I am beginning to feel a lot more at home. I will be living with two girls, one of which (Becky) is a 2011 Teach for America corps member, the other (Carissa), her best friend from Duke, where the two went to college. It's a bit of a gamble, but it is a beautiful apartment and a quick commute to Hyde (my school), so I am well pleased. I'm sure I'll keep the world posted on how it works out, but after talking with them a few times and getting a good review from my friend Mark, who has been living with them temporarily for the month of August, I am confident in the decision. In a few weeks (September 1st) I will move in and truly feel like a New Yorker. Until now, it's never really felt all that permanent. There's no turning back now.

Other than that - I don't feel I have much to report. But not wanting to leave you empty handed, I will share with you a new poem that I recently jotted down while en route to somewhere in this great city, titled The Subterranean Maze. See if you can guess my favorite literary device (hint: it's alliteration).

Sonic subway sounds
Phantom faces fatigued
Rats roughly racing
Patient poets pacing
Alas, anew and acing
The subterranean maze



(A view from the Court Square stop on the 7 train)


Comments

Popular Posts