Unique New York - Weekend Overview

Friday - 5:45 PM

I'm on my own again. Wednesday night I got back from Maine to meet more roommates, assist with a move, and get drunk with strangers amongst a cluttered apartment of disorganized furniture. Without any modern media systems to keep us occupied, we drank Natural Light and discussed literature over songs on my MacBook. The people I've met this week have fascinated me; I'm truly impressed by the random group of people I'm privileged to associate myself with this month. One teaching fellowes alumni, 2 peace corps members, 2 gentlemen recently returning from New Zealand, a Whole Foods-esque store manager and numerous ultimate frisbee afficiandos. Who are these people? As it happens, they are wicked smart, genuine people who I, solely by chance, now live with in NYC for the month. Oh yeah, we live in Brooklyn, right next to Marcy Playground and the Marcy Projects, made famous by world renowned rapper Jay Z. It's actually a really eclectic neighborhood that I'm quickly finding a fondness for. It has a diverse population of african americans, latinos, hasidic jews and skinny jean hipsters pushing the frontier of gentrification. I like it.

Today I went on an adventure, wandering about manhattan in search of an apartment, a shower curtain and an air mattress. I was unsuccessful however as I've only been able to claim a shower curtain as my prize; nonetheless, it was an excellent chance to wander about the concrete jungle. By the end of the day, my sandaled feet truly began to appreciate the immensity of this island.

In a few minutes, I am meeting my brother's friend Amy for a drink off of 51st street in a pub called The Stag's Head. I think it will be a fitting conclusion to the day - cordial cocktails with a not so stranger in a not so strange new land. I get the sense, more often than not, that when I wander, when I open myself up to new experiences with a positive attitude and without expectations, things tend to work out for me. It's kind of quirky actually, but that oddity amuses me, so I keep wandering. Perhaps I'm searching for something.

Sunday - 4:10 PM

A now common experience, I find myself journaling / blogging on my Blackberry beneath the streets of New York on a subway train. Truly the modern man's mode of transportation. For $2.25 a ride, I marvel at the intricate system of public transit and appreciate how far it can take me, as well as the characters I get to gander at along the way. Yesterday, while en route to meeting a friend in Manhattan, I took time to list the myriad individuals I encountered on my path. The following are brief descriptions of the folks I gazed upon on the L train, as well as in Union Square. (Please note, quotations indicate the individual held a sign with these words written);

  • Mexican elvis
  • Modern moustache hipster
  • Bald head body tattoo
  • Euro family
  • Religious crazies
  • Atheist crazies
  • "Free hugs" guy
  • Chess players
  • "Gay for pay" cross dresser
  • Break dancers / street performers
  • Hippy guitarist
  • Skateboarder
  • Beach bums
  • Lesbians
  • The "sexy bum"
  • Fashionistas

I'm taking pleasure in the diversity I find here, and the general weirdness that you see all over the place. Literally, moments after writing that last sentence, while transferring from the L train to the 4, I walked past "Xylophants" in the tunnels - 2 guys dressed in pink elephant and pink monkey costumes playing the xylophone for tips. I could never make that up. But that's what I mean - with an open mind and appreciation for diversity, NYC isn't a bad place to be.

In a few minutes I'm going to get off of the train and see a free concert with my friend Adam in Central Park. I don't know any of the 3 bands that are playing, but that's sort of how I roll these days - new, but open to something new. I'm sure I'll dig it.

Monday - 12:25 AM

I did dig it. I do dig it. But I still wonder if there is where I should be right now. I wish this Blog wasn't more than just a jumbled musing over what I've seen and where I am, but I hope you're enjoying reading it. I sure enjoy writing it.

Cheers (as the lead singer of Friendly Fires, the band I saw tonight would say),
Josh

Comments

Popular Posts