Confidence through Community

Today I reunited with my TFA brethren at additional training sessions in the Upper West side after eleven long days apart. I write hyperbolically, but even though hardly two weeks has passed since leaving Summer Institute, rejoining my New York colleagues felt like reacquainting with long lost friends, or family after a long vacation. It was actually very strange, but fulfilling. I've been struggling with confidence lately, in myself, in my ability to be a great teacher, but after seeing everyone once again and watching a few inspirational clips of Jeff Li (the Executive Director of TFA New York and an educational leader with as much charisma as an Asian Obama), I regained my strength and sense of purpose. At the two-hour mark we had a break and I stepped outside to jot down a few words on my Blackberry (which is now beginning to grow its library of my poetry and self-reflections...)

Confidence

Confidence ebbs and flows depending on the moment
But relationships are my joy
They support me and give me strength
Broad smiles after 11 days apart
We are in this together
Cherish the people you're lucky enough to meet
People matter
They are beautiful, truly.

So, based on that, I guess you could say that I really like some of the people I've met out here. Maybe it's the largeness and ambiguity of the city that makes seeing a familiar face so magical and new, but more likely than not, I just really enjoy the individuals I've met since moving here. 

It is also important for me to remember that I am not an island, but am a part of a whole community of new teachers working through this challenging experience. I will need to remind myself of this everyday. At least I have the Blackberry to help me keep that in mind. 

Best,
Josh

Comments

Josh,
I am enjoying and learning so much about you, your interest and and meting new challenges. We never had much time to spend together due to geography...but you are changing that. I read your blog every week. And I gain interesting opportunities for self reflection from the poems and literary reference. You are inspiring your Aunt and allowing me to see and feel your excitement.You are in my prayers and thoughts...You can be sure that you have 3 people following your writings.
Aunt Cheri

Popular Posts