Balcony Concerts and Fashion Shows

This week my time has mainly been spent in class, at my dorm and on the tram. If I haven't mentioned it yet, Arcobaleno is at least a 20 minute tram ride from the center of the city, which is where my school is located. With walking, it's about a half hour journey from my room to the classroom. Although at first this wasn't too much of a hastle, I've found that a 1 hour commute per class can get very old very fast. Today for instance I had 3 classes, each with a 2 1/2 hour break - I was extremely tired today, so decided to head back in between each course. In all, this means that between the hours of 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM, I spent 4 1/2 hours in class, 2 hours in bed, and 3 hours in transit. Ludicrous I tell you. 

The reason I was rather sleepy today was because last night, after a late aperitivo with friends and a brief stop at a bar, I got back to Arcobaleno and decided to head up to the balcony for a little autumn guitar session. When I got there I was quite alone and enjoyed playing some of the music I've recently written. After around 15 minutes, I heard some loud yelling, escalating in volume, as something barreled down the hallway toward me. Soon enough, I saw a shopping cart, complete with human person seated inside, being wildly pushed down the hall by what I suppose you could call its "driver". Two polish guys, Neri and Yahn, were having some fun.

They saw my guitar and walked out to see what I was up to - soon enough two of their friends, Rebecca (Italian) and Agnes (Poland) joined me, and asked to hear something. I played a few well known songs (Under the Bridge, Save Tonight, etc.) and then later ended up admitting that I write stuff as well. They encouraged me to play all 3 of my songs, which I hesitantly did, but their reception was uplifting. They loved them, so they said, and encouraged me to pursue a career as rock star. Beats financial consultant, I said. I think I'm going to do a balcony tour of Europe, and see if my music resonates with anyone else on this crazy continent.

Last night, while at aperitivo, I also had the chance to meet two incredibly cool kiwi girls (New Zealanders) whose accents and personalities I found to be delightful. They told me all about how earlier that day, they had gone to the Gucci fashion show (not inside, but hung out nearby) and taken pictures of models and celebrities, including Rihanna. (If you're not a fashion insider, this week is Fashion Week in Milan, where all the upscale heavy hitters display their spring clothes lines, accompanied by parties and my disdain). I told them that sounded like a lot of fun, then they informed me that tomorrow (aka tonight) they were going to the Versace show. Thus, only a few hours ago, yours truly sat outside the Versace Teatro with 5 of my friends, and took pictures of living mannequins (they are actually people too... but they seriously look unreal) and soaked up the moment. I could only spend around half an hour there, but the point is, I was there. The highlight of my photos is a shot of an older woman, who turned out to be Anna Winter. Again, this meant nothing to me, but I was then told that the movie "The Devil Wears Prada" is based on the story of this ice-queen of enormous fashion influence. No big deal.

Tomorrow I venture to Munich for Oktoberfest, where I will celebrate my 22nd birthday. I'm taking the bus with Analise, a girl from New York who I've gotten to know pretty well this past week and who I really like spending time with. We share a mutual appreciation for pop-punk music, food, and old Savage brothers television series (Boy Meets World, The Wonder Years). If I can find a way to post this very funny interview I did with her tonight, pretending to comment on the splendor of the fashion show, I will. Other than that, keep looking at my pictures and again, if I can get music and movie footage to you soon, I will do that as well. 

I'm glad to hear that many of you are enjoying my blog - I write it for all of you who I care about and what to stay in touch with. Keep reading and I'll keep living the dream.

Buona sera mi amici.   

Comments

Popular Posts