Happiness - A Late Night Rumination

To be here and alive
Struggling… struggling
They tell me teaching is terrible because it lacks any form of instant gratification
This is true -- I can move from moment to moment and feel nothing but dissatisfaction, frustration and possibly envy for other, more lucrative professions
But this is not martyrdom
I have made my choice and I choose this
This is the true pursuit of happiness
Happiness does not come without extraordinary effort and sacrifice
Pleasure might not require such things – the metropolitan princess or man of old money may know pleasure well – but they grasp in vain for happiness
Fulfillment
The heart and soul are curious things
Often they go unheard – silenced by our greedy, insatiable egos
But they win out in the end – they always win
Even a hard-hearted man will wonder in the waning seconds of his life if pleasure was such a noble pursuit
Life is not about pleasure
Life – all the life that surrounds the villainy of man is concerning just a handful of precious truths
Harmony, community, love, sacrifice, hope, peace, patience, faith, humility, et cetera
Do I find these days to be filled with pleasure?
No – these days are some of the hardest I’ve ever known and leave me beaten in the morning and restless in the night
But do I sit here, at the end of another grueling day, and feel sorry for myself, or uninspired?
No – I am happy
I just realize that life can be paradox – and happiness can mean pain, anguish, and struggle
But it is also the other things – the wonderful things – the et cetera
And they win out in the end
They always win

Comments

Popular Posts