Communion

I think it was my mom who told me that every once in a while a word pops into her mind that seems to carry particular significance. She remembers this word throughout the year. For 2012, I decided to subscribe to this peculiar practice and came to the realization that the word communion will be incredibly valuable to me this year.

To me, communion means coming together with others, strengthening relationships and forging new ones, appreciating the diversity of perspectives, and become a humble member of a large whole. It is more than bread dipped in grape juice or wafers and wine - it is uniting with something at times elusive, at times tangible. And while I observe this word with reverence and mysticism, I also feel like it can be broken down quite simply - have fun. Enjoy the other people who fill this place. Admire the quirkiness of New York subways and actively make plans with friends each week - find pleasure in conversations and moments with others.

Thursday night was "Parent Discovery Night" at our school; these events occur every so often; parents come to meet with teachers and discuss various topics. Because of graduate school, I missed the event, but was able to attend a make-up event this morning. Therefore, at 9:30 AM this morning, I found myself in the South Bronx, leading a room of 4 parents in a discussion about our children / students, what we admire about them, what we think they struggle with, what we can do to support them and our vision for their future. Each parent journaled using question prompts, then wrote a letter to their child.

If you were a fly on the wall and had no context of the situation, you would probably think it an odd event. Four middle-aged, African-American parents, one with a thick African accent, being led in a discussion by a awkward, pale-skinned, 1st year teacher with plenty of humility and positivity, but something shy of grace. However, as the awkward pauses began to be filled with conversation, and my unrelenting gaze and smile began to transfer throughout the room, I felt connections being made. I felt inspired by the presence of others who know so much more than I do. I was filled with happiness that I somehow get to be a part of their lives and the lives of their children who they are so hopeful for. It was really super cool. I felt the word in action and knew it meant something important - communion.

On the train ride back, I scribbled a few jumbled thoughts into my Blackberry to capture the feeling. I'll leave you with those today. Have a wonderful weekend.

Communion

Families
A humbled servant
Awkward exchanges turn into inspired gazes
How do you do what you do?
Your back aches from night jobs
Your accent thickens
Your heart swells with love and hope
Do you see the love in my eyes?
My sincerity when I tell you how much I admire you
Day in and day out you live and work to support your child
Day in and day out I try to help in any way I can
But I am so new and so scared
But you encourage me
We are in communion you and I
A community dedicated to a better life for our kids
Hard work and hope
And above all things, Love

Sincerely,
Your child's teacher

Comments

Popular Posts