With love and a heavy heart: A call to confront American racism


To my Black brothers and sisters in America, I love you. I am so sorry for the continued violence against you, for our collective failure as a nation to protect you and affirm you, for the hatred and fear that have permeated our national history and our present moment, and the continued ignorance of many who are unable or unwilling to bravely confront the truth of the painful and unceasing legacy of racism in America and all of its insidious manifestations which continue to do you harm and hinder your rightful entitlement to thrive and to equally pursue the American dream. As a people, we are failing you, and I am so, so sorry. As an individual, please know that I stand with you, that I seek to use my voice and my being to actively ally myself with your cause, and that I aspire to use my life to work alongside you to construct a society in which you, and your children, and your children’s children are free, safe, and loved.

To my White brothers and sisters in America, in particular those who live and work in mostly White communities, have mostly White friends, and who may be watching the news and reading social media feeds and feeling a sense of confusion and uncertainty about the meaning of all of this deep social unrest; I love you, too. From this love, I encourage you to act. We will not change the status quo without your intentional action and deeper understanding of the challenge we face. Build relationships rooted in love across lines of difference, educate yourself through readings and conversations about race and power in America (I’ve included below some books and resources that have helped me on my ongoing journey toward greater racial awareness), and please, have courage to speak and to listen and to join this meaningful conversation, online, at your dinner tables, and with your friends. As the prophetic writer James Baldwin said, “Not everything faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.” Be bold and face this challenge with us.

Love to you all,
Josh

A few books/movies that have helped me on my journey to better understand race and power in America (please feel free to comment and to share others):
The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson
Between the World and Me by Ta Nehisi Coates
Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
13th (documentary on Netflix)

Comments

Popular Posts