Josh Goes Political

Hey there friends. It's been years since I've metaphorically dusted off this old blog and posted some of my musings. I've actually composed a handful of messages over the past few years, especially this most recent election year, but I never clicked send. Instead, I distilled my thoughts into three-paragraph Facebook essays and called it a day.

As the years have passed, I've used this blog in a variety of ways. It started with an unforgettable, four-month trip to Western Europe. I studied abroad in Milan, Italy, traveled often, ate cheaply, drank abundantly, and quickly learned through my international friendships that we are far more united than divided as human beings. 

After working for two years in insurance consulting, I abandoned my secure life trajectory to become a special education teacher in the South Bronx, and "Josh Goes" became a space for me to share my innermost thoughts and reflections. I shared with you my struggles as a new teacher serving the highest-risk community for children in New York City, my relentless hope in the face of adversity, and my growing awareness of the depth of American racism, classism, and privilege. 

Life settled down, I traveled to Spain with my girlfriend in 2014, I wrote about it, and two years later, I married her. 

Now we are here, in what feels like a dystopian present for an American liberal like myself. Our highest elected leader lies aggregiously, emboldens global hatred and division, promotes avarice and supreme self-interest, dismisses data, science, and facts, and holds himself up as a national savior, when in truth he is the smallest, weakest, most petty, most restless human being I have ever known. In less than one week, his decisive, divisive policy actions and sweeping, stupid communications have boiled my blood and hurt my heart. Donald Trump is not a leader, he is a plague, and the international aqcuisition of his symptoms - pride, greed, anger, violence, irrationality, dishonesty, self-service, and aggression - will cripple us all.

I attended the Women's March in Washington D.C. this past Saturday, and I felt such hope while standing united with 500,000 beautiful, diverse human beings chanting for women's rights, LGBTQ rights, immigrants' rights, the equal value of black lives, and more. I want to feel that hope again. I want to connect with you and share with you my evolving sense of the world. I want to make a difference, obstruct oppression, and collectively construct a more just and equitable society. 

So here is my resolution; this year, I will be political. I will not be fearful of expressing myself. I will take real, concrete actions to promote human progress and social equity on a weekly basis, and I will tell you about it. Additionally, I will welcome any and all dissenting opinions with love, humility, and courage. Unlike President Trump, I will be peaceful and inclusive across lines of difference, and I will listen to those whose beliefs conflict with my own, rather than simply shouting over them, speaking falsehoods, or trying to shut them down with a sarcastic quip and righteous indignation. So please, I encourage you to share with me online, speak with me over the phone, meet with me for a drink, protest with me in the streets, and help me to shape a better human community, a better country, and a better world. 

In short, this year, "Josh Goes Political." I look forward to the journey ahead.

Onward,
Josh

Comments

Popular Posts