Going, going, back, back, to St. John's, St. John's...


It’s 10:58 PM on a Thursday in June. I’m sitting at a dorm room desk in St. John’s University, my roommate Clifton behind me working diligently, the hum of an air conditioner to my right, a candle burning quietly on a shelf. It is peaceful. It is pleasant. It will not last. I am back at Teach For America’s Summer Institute.

It is actually quite peculiar being in this position. Almost precisely two years ago, I arrived at La Guardia Airport in Queens, scurried over to this very campus in my blue shirt and bright gold tie, and began my career as a teacher. Today, I presided over a graduation ceremony for my 8th graders, savored the successful completion of my second year as a teacher, then scurried back to St. John’s in my blue shirt and gold tie to start it all again (the attire was dorkily planned). A good part of me is earnestly wondering, what the hell am I thinking? Why in the world would I want to come back here?

And I don’t know really. Here are a few of my best guesses in an attempt to answer that question.
1.     My girlfriend Carmen wanted to do it and I didn’t want to miss her so I chased her here.
2.     I don’t like cooking for myself and thought the buffet food of Montgoris Dining Hall would be an upgrade.
3.     I am in debt and $5,700 is nothing to thumb your nose at.
4.     I love the mission of Teach For America. I love the people. I want to support the cause and in the process become an even better teacher for my students. I like hard work, especially when the results are to the benefit of human beings. I like to think. I like to collaborate. I like to promote literacy and critical thinking. I love this job.

Anyway, it’s probably one of the four above. Maybe there’s some truth in all of them. The fact of the matter is this; I’m back at Institute. Also, if I don’t write about it I will probably go crazy. And so, if you feel inclined to read my thoughts as a teacher (and now coach!) in urban education, feel free to read on. If not, your loss pal! (But seriously, no hard feelings.)

Here we go.

Josh

Comments

Popular Posts