An Efficient Synthesis of My Life at the Present Moment


Life is filled with irony. Somehow, at the conclusion of my two-year commitment to Teach For America, I feel as busy as I was upon my moment of entry. I would throw up my arms and shout, “Woe is me!” if I wasn’t so keenly aware of my absolute willingness to engage in this work. Sometimes I complain, I sigh deeply, I ho-hum on the phone with my girlfriend Carmen about how trying it all is. Then she astutely points out that I could choose to do something else. I soundlessly nod and commit to withhold my pointless griping.

Seriously though, I’m a busy guy. In an effort to efficiently quantify my myriad demands, here is my quick, high-level To Do list;
  • Meet teaching career expectations; lesson planning, 8th grade team leadership, end of year activity plans for students, grading, IEP writing and reflection
  • Pre-work for Teach For America’s summer institute (where I will be an advisor)
  • Graduate school course work for Fordham University (last class for my masters degree!)
  • Certification tests (CLEP Spanish Language, English CST, Special Education CST, ATS-W)


That’s really the bulk of it. I guess it doesn’t look so bad. I suppose when we list it all out, life appears more manageable. Also, I know that along the spectrum of human experience, I have a very comfortable life, a happy life, and mine is filled with many blessings. Such as;
  • Loving relationships (family, girlfriend, friends, colleagues, students)
  • Exciting opportunities (cities explored, foods tasted, experiences enjoyed, optimistic plans)
  • An excellent education (my brain is a fantastic and wonderful thing)
  • Faith communities (I dig my church and my connection to God)


I know I don’t touch base with y’all that often. When I do, I want to make sure you (and I) gain a better understanding of where I am and where I’m going. The lists above are a quick synthesis of where I am and what I love about my life. Where I’m going? Well, that’s another question.

But here’s to the story of how I get there.

Comments

Popular Posts