A Tuesday in February - A Magic Haircut

(This post is being belatedly published, but was written on Tuesday, February 7th, 2012)

I'm currently sitting in Harlem's DMV, waiting for number B388 to flash on the screen so that I may become a true New York resident with a real-life New York driver's license. It's all very exciting. Or, at least as exciting as the DMV can be. While I wait, I thought I might make the most of this time and update you on what's happening with me.

I took my first sick day today, a mix of an actual health and a mental health day. While I had initially entertained the idea of achieving perfect attendance in my first year, I sorta threw that idea out the window at 6 this morning, when I realized my recurring cold wasn't going away, and that missing today wouldn't have that big of an impact on my students (they were scheduled to spend most of the day in the library with another class, as it happens). So, I made a few phone calls, sent a few texts and emails, secured people to cover me, then turned off my alarm and slept until 11 am. It was glorious.

I was feeling better immediately, so decided to go for a run, pick up some things at Target, pay some bills, make a dentist appointment, then work my way over to the DMV for some quality paperwork and line waiting. I suppose it's not your conventional sick day, but honestly, this is sort of a relaxing day for me.

The last time I blogged I was feeling good - I'm feeling good again I guess, but the past week and a half has been pretty crappy. My kids data came back and they haven't grown that much, or as much as I'd like. Also, I continue to have an emotionally draining set of interactions with one of my most challenging students, who consequently needs the most help in reading, and pretty much shuts me out. It keeps me up regularly, but I suppose that's a better work trouble to concern myself with than health care reform. That's the difference between my life then and now.

Number was just called! To be continued...

45 minutes later... Unfortunately, there was an error with the DMV's system, so I have to go back to finalize things and get my identification. Argh! Actually, it doesn't bother me all that much; I got the ball rolling, and am sure I will get it soon enough. No worries.

On my way back from 125th Street, I stopped in at my favorite barber Claudio's. I'm there now, waiting for my turn in the chair. It's a small, one-room shop with a single chair, a pair of scissors, and an Italian gentleman in his 80's who cuts hair with artistry and passion. The pictures that line the walls are a monument to his life - celebrities who've received honorary hair cuts, images of New York and its championship teams, family photographs that date back to the 50s, religious icons and artifacts from Italy. It's an amazing place to get a haircut - and even though I've only received a handful of haircuts from him - I feel a certain reverence for his shop and his stories. He is almost like a grandfather-figure, who you smile at, appreciate and listen to. He has countless tales to tell I'm sure.

Claudio at his craft. Search "Claudio, 116th St" for more information on my renowned barber. 


Anyway, I go into this description at such length partly to capture it in my mind, partly to honor the man, but mostly to appreciate some of the magic of this city. New York often fascinates meet with its diversity, unspoken energy and inimitable people. Claudio is one of those people who I feel couldn't exist anywhere else - it's going to be an excellent haircut.

That's it for now readers. I hope you're doing well, wherever you are. I also miss you a lot and hope you can visit soon. Please feel free to comment or call - sometimes I forget that you're out there.

Sincerely,
Josh

Comments

Popular Posts