Be free.


The culture of my school in the Bronx (Hyde Leadership) is very focused on the idea that each person, student or faculty, should pursue their “unique potential”. To me, this means that every person in the world has unique gifts and abilities, and that if we foster our talents and listen to our inner voice, we will be drawn to a particular life mission. I found it extremely serendipitous when I learned this about my school, because, without question, I feel like I am pursuing my unique potential in this moment.

But anyway, every Friday afternoon we meet as middle school teachers for a professional development activity, such as training or student data analysis, but once a month, we gather as an entire staff (elementary school, middle school and high school) to participate in a character building experience; think trust falls, close group discussions, nature walks. Yesterday we engaged in one of these sessions.

Each teacher and administrator was required to pick from one of the following activities, but was expected to choose something with which they are unfamiliar; athletics, dance, singing, acting, drawing, or performing slam poetry. I chose the latter, thinking that reading a piece of poetry to a crowd of my colleagues would be the least comfortable experience from the list.

After a quick tutorial with other teachers, we were dismissed to write a poem, to be performed for the entire staff, in 30 minutes time. I loved the time crunch and challenge, and with my excited energy, wrote the following lines. I performed it soon thereafter; I am happy to report it was well received (Note: Betsy Olney is the head of our three schools).

Be free. Be me. Joshua C. Try something new in New Y C. “Try slam poetry,” says Betsy Olney. “Son of a B,” I think in my M-I-N-D. But okay.
New faces, new places and by God’s good graces somehow I’ve made this great change.
And I find myself here, heart racing with fear, adrenaline making thoughts run clear on this stage.
So do you want to know
The thoughts that I hold,
The lessons I’ve learned on my road?
One – it’s this – community’s bliss
Two – you have the opportunity to do whatever you choose always
Three – “Nope” is the absence of hope so remove it from your dictionary
Because faith, hope, love and friends are FOUR of the things I adore and hold dear
And five – high five because you’re alive. Enjoy the jive of amateur guys and girls whose words twirl with the unceasing swirl of this wonderous world, earth, and sky.
And I thank thee Betsy Olney and H-Y-D-E- for pushing me to be extremely uncomfy – I think I like slam poetry.



Comments

Popular Posts